16 Shocking Vitamin D Facts by Dr. Nick Araza
When I feel passionate about a health topic that just isn’t getting enough press, I feel compelled to write two blog articles on it (see GFB June 4 & 11). So, here is my 2nd article on my favorite vitamin and its wonderful origin.
16 SHOCKING Vitamin D Facts
1. UPWARDS OF 40% OF AMERICANS ARE DEFICIENT IN VITAMIN D!
2. 76% of pregnant mothers are severely vitamin D deficient, causing widespread Vit D deficiencies in their unborn children.
3. 81% of children born to Vit D deficient mothers are deficient themselves.
4. Vitamin D deficiency is directly related to PROSTATE CANCER, BREAST CANCER, OVARIAN CANCER, DEPRESSION, COLON CANCER, OSTEOPOROSIS, THE FLU (IMMUNE FUNCTION), FIBROMYALGIA, PAIN DISORDERS, DIABETES I & II, and more.
5. Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to UV radiation from natural sunlight.
6. Vitamin D-producing rays cannot penetrate windows/glass, clouds, nor sunscreen.
7. Even weak sunscreens (with an SPF of 8) block your body’s ability to produce Vit D by 95%!! Sunscreens cause disease by blocking the production of this ESSENTIAL VITAMIN.
8. On top of that, many sunscreens contain toxic chemicals.
9. It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of Vitamin D from your diet without supplementation - sunlight is the only reliable way to get enough Vitamin D.
10. Vitamin D production is based on:
- Distance from Equator: Closer = More D
- Pigmentation of Skin: Lighter = More D
- Time of Year: Summer Months = More D
- Time of Day: Peak (10-2pm) = More D
- Cloud Cover: More Clouds = Less D
11.People with dark skin need upwards of 20-30 times more exposure to create similar amounts of Vit D. That is one reason that prostate cancer is epidemic among black men.
12. The recommendation for sun exposure is 10-30 minutes (enough to turn slightly pink without burning) in peak sun hours 2-3 times each week (if light-skinned, that will equal 10,000-20,000 IU’s of Vitamin D!!) If you can’t do that, or if it’s winter in New England, then supplement with 2-5,000 IU/day (and more if you fall into the obese category).
13. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET TOXIC AMOUNTS OF VITAMIN D FROM SUNLIGHT.
14. Toxic amounts from supplementation are usually around 30,000 IU daily for an extended period of time.
15. Sufficient levels of Vitamin D are required to absorb calcium from your digestive track (sufficient = 30% absorption; deficient = 15% absorption). Without the correct amounts of Vitamin D, much of calcium supplements are wasted, and just pass through.
16. Vitamin D is one of the most powerfully healing vitamins/hormones in your body, and your body makes it absolutely free as long as you play in the SUN!
Compiled facts about Vitamin D obtained from “The Sunshine Vitamin” on Natural News (www.naturalnews.com), a fantastic website that hand-selects awesome articles about Health/Wellness Victories and Sickness Monstrosities not widely publicized. Check it out!
Fight 4 Health,
Dr. Nicholas Araza DC CCWP